DUNCAN – The 21st Black Tie Awards and Auction was held Saturday, April 7, 2018 at Brentwood College School. The Duncan Cowichan Chamber of Commerce welcomed 299 guests – the most ever to attend the Awards.
There were three Finalists in each of the eight categories and all 24 were honoured with framed certificates and glowing tributes from sponsors and judges. The Winners were announced later in the evening and are listed by category (below).
“The 2018 Awards recognized an exceptionally diverse group of Finalists who demonstrate our values with a special blend of entrepreneurial spirit and passion for their community. Together they represent the best in business and volunteerism, contributing greatly to the success and vibrancy of the Cowichan Region,” said President Julie Scurr.
The Chamber presented the 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award to Stormin’ Norm Jackson who was honoured for significant and lasting contributions to Cowichan during for his extensive volunteer work for the Cowichan District Hospital Foundation, Cowichan Golfers Against Cancer, Cowichan Women Against Violence, Kid Sport and many other organizations.
As the General Manager and Head Pro at the Cowichan Golf and Country Club, Mr. Jackson has earned multiple industry awards with his team at the club’s Golf Shop, and was twice honoured as the BC PGA Pro of the Year.
As per Chamber tradition, last year’s recipient, Jim Dias, joined Chamber President Julie Scurr in presenting the Lifetime Achievement Award. “To have my close friend Bruce Williams emceeing was an awesome surprise and to have Jim Dias present the award was very heart warming as he and Bruce are two individuals I look up to,” said Jackson, reflecting upon the evening’s celebrations.
“The recurring characteristic that kept coming up from the finalists was the theme of team and passion. Something we stress at Cowichan Golf Club. Great to see all the young business people celebrating the evening. The future in the Valley looks bright.”
The evening’s award winners are as follows:
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Stormin’ Norm Jackson Customer Service Award: Elly Ruge, Cowichan Auto Repair
- Volunteer of the Year Award: Anne Balding & Claudia Roland, Meals on the Ground
- Green Business Award: John & Katy Ehrlich, Alderlea Farm Café
- Young Entrepreneur Award: Ian Smith, Victory Barber & Brand North
- Art in Business Award: Lorraine Blake, Steps Ahead Dance
- Business Achievement 1-10 Employees Award: Morgan Moreira, Aly Tomlin & Ralf Rosenke, Riot Brewing Company
- Business Achievement 11-19 Employees Award: The Team, Taiji Brand Group
- Business Achievement 20+ Employees Award: The Team, Arbutus Farms